Thursday, April 4, 2013

Bike Shop: 4/3/13

The cold weather that had been holding back the flood of spring work has finally burst. After a few weeks where I was gone, or there was not work, I returned to find the shop a changed place.

I failed to get  a photo, so just picture a detached 2 story garage with about 15 bikes strewn across the driveway, laying on the lawn, leaning against the side of the building. Inside I find both arms of the stand occupied, a stack of unassembled bike boxes, and bikes snugged tight in every open space. There is enough room to get to the accessories on the walls, and that's it. It's my first spring rush, and I love it. It reminds me of the best times at the cabinet shop that I used to work at-get every inch out of the space you've got, and pare down your process until not a second is wasted.

Bear in mind, this bike shop is tiny, and an influx of 20 new bikes seriously overloads the floor space. After 30 some odd years, Dave has a pretty good idea of what people in the area are interested in buying, but some bikes just don't move, and we have a hard time unloading them.

Anyhow, to business:

Task: Assemble new bikes. 4 cypresses (cypressi?). I get the parts on the bike, do inventory. He tunes and double checks my work. Still about a half hour per bike between us. I am not satisfied with that.

Problem: Still not satisfied with my system, it's too easy to miss steps between inventory and assembly.

Solution: Do NOT rush. Do NOT make work of what you love. Not profound, but it's a fight for me to take my time when there is so much that needs to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment